Apr 24, 2009

New Toy In da House!!!

It’s was quite a while since I was contemplating to get a netbook and the urge kinda went away when I was told that I will be been given a laptop at work. I’m currently prepping up my work laptop so I’ll be leaving the desktop world for good very soon. What was even better is that I managed to get hold of a Dell Latitude D420 and I’m rather happy because all this while my plan was to get a light weight laptop for personal use. I’ve never used a 12’ lappy so I was quite surprised and satisfied with its 3.1 lbs @ approximately 1.4kg weight. Although it isn’t a really very light one compare to those in the current trend.

I played a little trick on my mom and the previous owner and there you go. I’ve got a light weight laptop that I can use. My old faithful Toshiba will be fixed and pass to my mom since she’s more of a beginner. And she definitely needs a much bigger screen. “Ma, let me take care of the small one ok?” hahaha…ok, I know it isn’t a very new model, infact it was a 2006 model and bought in 2007, so it’s about 2 years old. I’m thinking maybe I could run it on XP and dual boot it with Ubuntu. Upgrade the RAM to 2GB and I guess it’s good to go as a casual lappy. The only draw back is that it runs on a smaller size 1.8’ hardisk rather than the regular 2.5’ notebook harddisk and I still have to get an external DVD combo drive to go with it. Although I’d really want to install it with Vista but I’m just too skeptical. I shall wait till Windows 7 is officially launched.

Old habit dies hard, with money saved for not getting a netbook I’m thinking of MacBook now. DAMN!!!

Spec of the Dell Latitude D420

•Processor: Intel Core Duo U2500 / 1.2 GHz
•Screen: 12.1" WXGA TFT LCD 1280 x 800 (Matte)
•Graphics: Intel GMA 950 (Integrated, up to 224MB shared)
•Memory: 1GB, DDR2-533 SDRAM, (512MB Integrated) 2 DIMMs
•Hard Drive: 80GB 4200RPM 1.8" Hard Drive
•Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
•Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
•Input: Full size keyboard with touchpad and pointing stick
•Battery: 6-Cell Primary (with ExpressCharge) and 65W AC Adapter
•65W AC Adapter: 0.8 lbs
•D420 Dimensions: 11.63"x8.27"x1.00"

No comments: